Assignment: Disease Analysis Paper
For this assignment, you will select a disease of your choice and conduct a detailed analysis of that disease, exploring it from a balanced traditional and alternative health perspective.
Begin by searching the Center for Disease Control (CDC) website to choose a disease or condition of interest to you.
Next, review the website for for information related to the disease or the disease category (e.g., mental health for ADHD).
In your paper, discuss the following:
- Prominent aspects of this disease
- Current data and statistics related to the disease
- Health disparities related to the disease
- Prevention strategies including complementary and alternative health therapies
- Contemporary research and clinical studies related to the disease
- An analysis of the pathophysiologic effects of stress related to the disease
- Evidence-based stress management interventions that might help with prevention or cure
The paper should be between 3–4 pages.
Incorporate at least three scholarly sources within the paper. Sources should be no more than three years old.
Use proper APA format to cite and reference sources.
WRITTEN ASSIGNMENTS (30 Points)
Research Paper (20 Points): Due Friday, January 25th (by 11:59 p.m.)
Movie Paper (10 Points): Due Friday, March 8th (by 11:59 p.m.)
Research Paper Instructions
This assignment will ask you to pick a psychological disorder or an issue related to abnormal psychology that you would like to learn more about. You are free to select any topic you like as long as they have some connection to abnormal psychology and our course. After you have picked your topic, please follow the directions listed under Part I and Part II below.
Locate three academic journal articles related to the abnormal psychology topic you selected. All of the articles you select for this assignment need to come from academic journals and your full text article should be at least 3 pages in length (if you have a shorter article that you would like to use, please consult with me). At least one of your journal articles needs to come from the Journal of Abnormal Psychology, which is one of the premier journals in the field of clinical psychology. This journal is part of the PsycARTICLES database which can be accessed through EBSCO. If you wish, all three of your articles may come from this prestigious source.
To find you’re your articles, please use the on-line databases such as Ebsco and/or Proquest (available at ). You may access the databases from on campus or (if you have a SCC email address) at home. Please check the appropriate box in each database to ensure that you find the right kind of article (In Proquest, check the “Scholarly journals, including peer-reviewed” box. In Ebsco, the box you check depends on the particular Ebsco database you are using. See me or a librarian if you have questions). Articles from newspapers (e.g., New York Times), popular magazines (e.g., Psychology Today, Newsweek, Time), book reviews from academic journals, or websites not affiliated with academic journals are NOT acceptable for this assignment and students will lose points if these kinds of articles are selected. If you have any questions about the appropriateness of your articles or are having trouble finding what you want, please ask me or one of the librarians for help.
A special caution on using articles from Scientific American magazine: I am using a number of articles from Scientific American as optional assignments for this class. I ask that you NOT USE any of these optional assignment articles for your required research paper assignments. For a complete list of the optional assignment articles, please see the “Assignments” link on the course web site ( ). If you use any of the optional assignment articles for either of these required assignments, you will receive a 6 point deduction on your paper and you will need to redo the assignment with appropriate articles.
For 1 of your articles, please read it and then do the following (NOTE: you are only required to read 1 of your articles for this assignment; you are welcome read and write about the additional 2 articles if you so choose but it is not required):
- Summarize the methods and results of the study. This should take approximately 2-4 paragraphs, depending on your article. For tips on summarizing a research article, see the “summarizing a research article” pdf at the following link: .
- Share your personal reaction to the study. Did you agree with the authors’ conclusions? Did you learn anything new? Were the findings consistent with anything that was presented in the text or lecture? What are some of the implications of this research? Could you relate the results to your life in any way?
- Please cite the 3 academic articles you found in APA format at the end of your paper. Title this section “References.” The easiest way to do this is when viewing your article, click on the “Cite” link (it’s on the right hand side of the page in EBSCO and near the top of the reference in Proquest). In the new window that appears, find the APA reference for your article, highlight the text of your reference with your mouse cursor, copy the text, and then paste it at the end of your paper. You’ll do this 3 times.
- Make sure that you total paper should be 2-3 pages in length, typed, and double-spaced. Please format your paper as a MS Word document or pdf.
- Submit your completed paper using the “Research Paper submission link,” located in our BlackBoard classroom.
Movie Paper Instructions
Pick a movie that portrays a character or characters who is/are experiencing a psychological disorder/mental illness. Alternatively, pick a movie that portrays an example of a certain type of therapy. Watch the movie and then please do the following:
- Write a very brief summary of the movie. Give me some clear evidence that you watched it.
- Write a description of how of the psychological disorder and/or the therapy that was portrayed.
- Write a critical analysis of how accurate or inaccurate you found the portrayal of the disorder/therapy. Show evidence of your knowledge of the psychological disorder/mental illness or the type of therapy (i.e. include information from class or the text).
- Your total paper should be 2-3 pages in length, typed, and double-spaced. Please format your paper as a MS Word document or pdf. To submit your paper, use the “Movie Paper submission link” in our Blackboard classroom.
Choose a movie from the following list or choose your own (as long as you get it approved by me before you hand your paper in):
- Leaving Las Vegas
- A Clockwork Orange
- What’s Eating Gilbert Grape
- Boys Don’t Cry
- Benny and Joon
- Girl Interrupted
- Mad Love
- Rain Man
- A Beautiful Mind
- Madness of King George
- Fight Club
- The Fisher King
- One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest
- Twelve Monkeys
- The Three Faces of Eve
- The Silence of the Lambs
- Ordinary People
- Analyze This/Analyze That
- Final Analysis