Scenario Analysis Assignment
Distance Counseling, Technology, and Social Media of the American Counseling Association’s Code of Ethics
Directions: Read the four scenarios below. Provide a 75-150-word response to each question in all four of the scenarios presented below. Use the ACA and NAADAC Codes of Ethics and other scholarly resources to support your responses. You must provide at least one properly formatted APA citation and accompanying reference to support your response for each scenario.
Scenario One: Barbara is a licensed professional counselor (LPC) working for a nonprofit social service agency. Many of the clients in the agency are female domestic violence victims. The director of the agency has asked Barbara to develop a counseling group to serve the needs of these individuals.
Question One: What ethical matters should Barbara consider as she plans this group?
Question Two: What methods should Barbara use to ensure confidentiality in the context of group counseling?
Question Three: If breaches of confidentiality occur, how should Barbara manage them?
Scenario Two: David is a licensed professional counselor (LPC) and a licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT) working for a family counseling center. Steve, one of his adult clients, would like to begin couples counseling with his wife. Distance Counseling, Technology, and Social Media of the American Counseling Association’s Code of Ethics
Question One: What ethical matters should David consider before beginning to see Steve and his wife?
Question Two: What special issues of confidentiality may arise in the case? How should David address these issues?
Question Three: How might differences in personal values and gender/cultural issues create ethical dilemmas in this case?
Scenario Three: Stephanie is a licensed professional counselor (LPC) who has decided to start a private practice as she transitions from public to private practice. As she makes her plans, there are many ethical issues she must consider. While these issues are of concern to all counselors, she must consider how they specifically impact a counselor in private practice.
Question One: How can she ethically handle limited resources, deal with cost containment issues, respond to discrimination, and promote community change?
Question Two: As a service provider, with what ethical issues and practices related to state insurance laws and managed care must she be familiar?
Question Three: What are the ethical obligations and limitations faced by a counselor who serves clients who have been the victim of discrimination, injustice, poverty, or lack of access to behavioral health services? What best practice community based interventions could she refer her clients to?
Section Four: Amari has recently passed her NCMHCE and will soon be considered an independent clinical practitioner. Her husband is in the military and they travel often. Amari hopes to strictly provide distance counseling in her private practice. She has never provided distance counseling nor does she know of anyone who does it. Rely heavily on Section H: Distance Counseling, Technology, and Social Media of the American Counseling Association’s Code of Ethics to consider the following.
Question One: What should Amari consider in regards to distance counseling? Distance Counseling, Technology, and Social Media of the American Counseling Association’s Code of Ethics
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CLASS
Discussion Questions (DQ)
- Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
- Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
- One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
- I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
- Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
- In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
- Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
- Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
- Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
- Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
- I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
- I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
- As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
- It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
- For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
- Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
- Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
- Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
- The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
- Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
- If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
- I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
- As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
- Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
- Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
- Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours.