HCA415 Ashford University Opiods Control Presentation
HCA415 Ashford University Opiods Control Presentation
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read Chapter 8 in your textbook, and review Chapter 5 sections on policy. Read the Review the web page and How to Write a Health Policy Brief. Finally, review the grading rubric for grading criteria. HCA415 Ashford University Opiods Control Presentation
Imagine that you have been chosen to represent a public health advocacy group as they begin a campaign to get legislation related to a health issue passed in your state legislature. You have been tasked with the role of presenting a proposed policy to the legislature and advocating that the legislature vote for the policy. You have been told that you will have 10 minutes to present to the legislature.
For this assignment, you will create an 8 to 10-minute presentation. Your presentation should be informative, but also persuasive, and be absolutely no longer than 10 minutes but no less than 8 minutes. Your presentation can be created using , the camera and microphone on your computer or handheld device within Canvas, or you can create slides using the voice recording functions within a presentation program (like PowerPoint). Instructions on how to use these tools are below. Professional dress, attitude, and clear communication matters for this assignment. The legislature will need to make a decision about whether or not to vote for the policy based on your presentation. Your presentation should be structured exactly as if you were “live” in front of the legislature advocating for them to adopt the policy you are proposing.
For your presentation, you will need to select a public health topic of interest to you (you are encouraged to choose one related to your academic major or intended field of work) and a public health policy related to addressing the topic. You may select an actual proposed policy or create one that you think would effectively address the topic. Your presentation should provide enough information about the topic and the proposed policy that a reasonably educated legislator should be able to make an informed decision. Be sure to consider the various questions that a legislator might have about the issue and proposed policy, such as long-term costs and benefits, potential effects on business and industry (especially those that support politicians’ campaigns), and how the policy will support the health and productivity of state residents.HCA415 Ashford University Opiods Control Presentation
Your presentation should address each of the following points:
- Discuss the public health issue that your proposed policy is intended to address. Questions to consider:
- Who does this health issue affect?
- What is the impact of this health issue on the community?
- Why does this health issue need to be addressed?
- Explain the proposed public health policy. Questions to consider:
- Who will be affected by this policy?
- How will this policy address the health issue?
- What will change by enacting this policy?
- Evaluate the impacts of the proposed policy. Questions to consider:
- What are the costs and benefits of the policy?
- What are the risks of enacting or not enacting the policy?
- How will the lives of people who are affected by the health issue change if this policy is enacted?
- Create an influential presentation that affects voting behaviors of legislators. Questions to consider:
- What information about this policy would potentially affect the voting behavior of legislators from across the political spectrum (e.g. conservative, moderate, liberal, progressive; particularly those who might not support the policy based on political orientation)?
- What are the most important messages that legislators need to hear about this policy?
- How would the constituents of the legislators voting for this policy feel about this policy and a legislator who votes for it?
- What information would a legislator need to “sell” the policy to constituents who were perhaps not in favor of adopting the policy?
Choose from the following options to create your presentation:
In order to complete this assignment, you may use the native video tool in your classroom. Please review the instructions in order to get started. This guide will familiarize you with the tool and review how to record your video to the classroom. Review the Professionalism handout.
As an alternative, you may use an external platform called . Please review the instructions provided by in order to get started. This guide will familiarize you with the tool and review how to upload your video to the classroom. If you choose to use another video recording tool for your submission, please follow the guide instructions to upload an MP4 video file into your classroom using the same steps.
You may also create a presentation using the voice recording functions within a program like PowerPoint. Review the Ashford Writing Center’s and to assist you with creating the presentation.
All submissions require an upload of a video or a presentation to the classroom.
The Advocating for Public Health Policy assignment
- Must be 8 to 10-minute formal presentation recorded as a video, screencast, or using the voice recording functions in a presentation program.
- Must include at least 100 words in the presenter’s notes for each slide if choosing a presentation program.
- You may want to look at to get started. Pay attention to APA style and formatting in this “how to” guide. APA guidelines are required in presentations and any scholarly work you create.
- Must include a separate title slide with the following:
- Title of presentation
- Students name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must utilize academic voice. See the resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion statement. Your introduction needs to end with a clear statement that indicates the purpose of your presentation.
- For assistance on writing refer to the Ashford Writing Center resources.
- Must use at least three scholarly, peer-reviewed, or credible sources (one of those may be the course text).
- The table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. The Ashford University Library is a great place to find resources. Watch the tutorial for research tips. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s
- Must include a separate reference slide or reference page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. See the resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications.
- Must use speakers notes as follows:
- Review the video tutorial. (YouTube and )
- Speaker notes are the typed notes that appear below the slide that complement the presentation slides. Whereas the slides will have short bulleted items, the speaker notes will be more detailed. They are essentially what the presenter would say during the presentation to explain each of the bulleted points on the slide. Therefore, it is important that the speaker notes are concise and detailed when explaining the bullet points.
- It is recommended that PowerPoint Slides contain no more than five bullet points and should not contain more than seven to 10 words each. Do not type paragraphs or long sentences on the slide. The information that explains each bullet point is conveyed via speaker notes or by recording your voice to each slide. HCA415 Ashford University Opiods Control Presentation