PSY-850 Discussions and Assignment Essay Papers
PSY-850 Discussions and Assignment Essay Papers
Clark and Springer (2007) conducted a qualitative study to examine the perceptions of faculty and students in a nursing program on incivility. Their key research questions were:
· How do nursing students and nurse faculty contribute to incivility in nursing education?
· What are some of the causes of incivility in nursing education?
· What remedies might be effective in preventing or reducing incivility?
They gathered responses from the Incivility in Nursing Education Survey (INE), which included both Likert-scale and open-ended questions from 36 nursing faculty and 168 nursing students. Each of the researchers reviewed all comments and organized them by themes.
For this PSY-850 class, you will design a “mock” replication of the Clark and Springer (2007) study on student and faculty perceptions of incivility in a university nursing program. However, the doctoral students will investigate student and faculty perceptions in undergraduate psychology classes in one university located in the northern United States.
You will use the Incivility in Higher Education (IHE) survey, developed by Clark (2007; 2011) for the purposes of this study. Questions on the survey measure faculty and student perceptions of uncivil actions (disruptive and threatening), how often those behaviors occur and strategies for improving civil behaviors in university settings. The IHE was adapted from the INE, with minor rewording, is similar in structure to the survey used by Clark and Springer, but is appropriate for any academic discipline within higher education (Wagner, 2014).
The IHE has three parts. Part 1 collects demographic information, such as major, gender, age, and years of teaching experience for faculty. Part 2 asks individuals to rank 16 different behaviors exhibited by students that both students and faculty may perceive as disruptive. Part 3 focuses on 20 faculty behaviors that may be perceived as disruptive. Both parts 2 and 3 also investigate how often the faculty has experienced the behavior in the past 12 months (often to never on Likert scale), and if the faculty members have experienced any of the 13 threatening behaviors (yes or no) by students or other faculty respectively. Five open-ended questions give the faculty member the opportunity to add contributing factors related to student and faculty incivility, and how students or faculty in particular contribute to incivility. A final question asked if the faculty member would like to add comments. The survey is designed in a manner that allows for gathering data from faculty and students or from only faculty or only students (C. Clark, personal communication, 2013 as cited in Wagner, 2014: PSY-850 Discussions and Assignment Essay Papers).
Week 2 Assignment:
(Read the following article and construct a 10 key points document.)
GCU doctoral learners use the 10 Key Strategic Points document to outline the key components of a research study. For the Week 2 assignment, you will use the original Clark and Springer (2007) to identify and construct a 10 key points document in preparation for the mock study on incivility in psychology classes.
1. Read Clark, C. M., & Springer, P. J. (2007). Thoughts on incivility: Student and faculty perceptions of uncivil behavior. Nursing Education Perspectives, 28(2), 93-97.
2. As you read, highlight information that relates to the 10 key points, such as the purpose, problem, sample, research question, etc.
3. After reading and highlighting the components of the article, complete the 10 key points table based on the Clark and Springer (2007) study in nursing education.
Ten Strategic Points Comments or Feedback
Broad Topic Area
“This study was conducted using quantitative and qualitative methodologies to investigate the problem of incivility in nursing education in a university environment from both student and faculty perspectives” (Clark and Springer, 2007, p. 94).
Rewrite this in “GCU” format.
Sample Sample: identify the sample from the Clark and Springer study.
Describe Phenomena (Qualitative)
Methodology and Design
“Its purpose was to consider possible causes of incivility and to recommend potential remedies” (Clark and Springer, 2007, p.94).
Rewrite this purpose statement based on “GCU” format.
Data Collection Instruments and Approach
Describe instruments used for the Clark and Springer study.
Describe the data collection approach used in the Clark and Springer study along with informed consent procedures.
Data Analysis Approach Discuss the data analysis approach used in the Clark and Springer study. PSY-850 Discussions and Assignment Essay Papers
Week 5 Assignment:
In Week 2, you constructed a 10 key points document based on the Clark and Springer (2007) study conducted on incivility in nursing education. In preparation for the mock replication study to be completed by participants in undergraduate psychology classes, you now must construct a 10 key points document for your own study. This must meet GCU criteria in terms of problem, purpose, and research question format. This would be a descriptive case study at GCU.
· Review the 10 key points constructed in Week 2 and the Clark and Springer (2007) study. Additionally, review the feedback provided by the instructor.
· Use the following template to develop 10 key points for your replication study in an undergraduate psychology program. Be sure to use resources in the DC network>Research/Dissertation tab> Prospectus templates to review the criteria for the purpose, problem, research questions and other key points. PSY-850 Discussions and Assignment Essay Papers
|10 Strategic Points||Comments or Feedback|
|Broad Topic Area||Incivility in psychology undergraduate education programs|
|Lit Review||Include citations from studies on incivility in psychology education.|
|Problem Statement||Write a problem for the psychology study, in the GCU required format.|
|Research Questions||Now frame questions for a like study to be conducted in undergraduate psychology programs.|
|Sample||Describe the sampling strategy you could use for a like study in an undergraduate psychology program. Define and justify the sampling strategy from a research source. Justify the sample size for a qualitative study from a research source and from the GCU Core Design Document.|
|Describe the Phenomenon|
|Methodology and Design||Describe the method and design you would use and justify your choice of both from a research source.|
|Purpose Statement||Develop a purpose statement for a psychology undergraduate program in the required GCU format.|
|Data Collection Instruments and Approach||Describe the IHE instrument to be used in this study. Describe the data collection approach you would use, including getting informed consent and how you would protect the confidentiality of participants.|
|Data Analysis Approach||Discuss a specific data analysis strategy you would use in your replication study in an undergraduate psychology program. Cite a specific researcher’s strategy such as Hatch, Miles and Huberman, Bogden and Biklin, or Saldana.|
PSY 850 Topic 8 Assignment Literature Review Resources
Successful completion of a doctoral dissertation requires significant amounts of independent reading on the research topic. This allows the doctoral learner/researcher to become familiar with the scope of the topic and to identify gaps or tensions within the existing literature on the topic. These gaps and tensions become the source of the dissertation research. In this assignment, you will read and annotate potential sources in your dissertation field of interest. Those demonstrating the most merit to the best of your understanding of the topic at this time should be added to your RefWorks list for potential inclusion in the literature review section of your dissertation.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- Locate the assignment submission for “Literature Review Resources” from your previous class. You will be adding to this document to begin building a running literature review.
- It is recommended that you engage in this activity throughout the duration of this course.
- Instructors will be scoring your submission based on the number of unique sources identified in the list submitted.
- Download the resource “Literature Review Resources Tool” and use it to complete the assignment.
- Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
- Refer to the resource, “Preparing Annotated Bibliographies,” located in the Student Success Center, for additional guidance on completing this assignment in the appropriate style.
- Read at least 10 peer-reviewed articles in your general dissertation field that you have not read previously.
- In the “Literature Review Resources” document that you submitted in your previous class, provide the following for each source that you are adding to the document:
- The APA-formatted citation.
- A brief annotation of the key points of the source.
- An indication of whether the source has been added to (Y) or excluded from (N) your RefWorks list.