Testing, Measurement, And Assessment
Unit 2 Assignment: Assessment Article Review
For this week’s Assignment you will evaluate the assessment and measurement tools from a study or case scenario. Identify an article in the past (5 years) that is related to an ethical psychological assessment instrument or tool. The article should summarize the test designer’s assessment techniques, ethical violation, and author’s ability to address or remedy the issues.
Write an essay, no fewer than seven pages in length, incorporating the following elements based on your findings:
- Discuss the study or case scenario and applicable qualities that relate to the APA ethical codes.
- Write your own critical review on the imperfections in this article and your analysis on how to address the problems noted.
- Take an affirmative position on whether or not these ethical challenges affect the validity of the study or case, and if there are additional test biases noted.
Along with the text, use a minimum of three scholarly articles to support your critic. One of your supporting articles should be the APA Ethical Codes accessible through the following Library links.
- Revision of Ethical Standard 3.04 of the “Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct” (2002, as Amended 2010). (2016). American Psychologist, 71(9), 900. doi:10.1037/amp0000102.
Miller and Lovler (2016) recommended four websites for psychological test databases, refer to (page 30) of your textbook.
Note: Find a test measuring a construct in your area of interest; do not purchase a review of any test. You will use the websites to look up the name and brief description of a test and then conduct further research on your own about this test.
The assignment should include the following:
- Follow assignment directions (review grading rubric for best results).
- Use correct APA formatting per the APA Publication Manual, 6th Edition.
- Demonstrate college-level communication through the composition of original materials in Standard American English.
- Be written in Standard American English and be clear, specific, and error-free. If needed, be sure to use the Writing Center for help.
- Be a minimum of seven pages (not including Title Page and Reference List).
Unit 2 Assignment Rubrics
Grading Rubric Unit 2 Assignment
Addresses each of the following areas using appropriate references to course materials:
Student synthesizes and addresses the following:
(1) Student is able to select an appropriate and relevant psychological assessment instrument
(2) Student is able to discuss the main issues the authors are addressing in the article
(3) Student is able to clearly define the ethical violations in the article review
(4) Student is able to clearly discuss how issues above have relevance to evaluating the validity of the psychological assessment instrument
Student clearly synthesizes ideas from the readings, and discusses how correct and incorrect decisions occur when interpreting a psychological assessment instrument
Style and Mechanics: Clear and logical
organization; paragraphs and sentences are well
developed. Uses correct grammar, spelling, and
punctuation. Meets (7 page) length requirements.
APA Style: Formatted correctly using APA style.
Provides references to support conclusions.
Paraphrased correctly and accurately; direct
quotes used minimally.
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CLASS
Discussion Questions (DQ)
- Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
- Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
- One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
- I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
- Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
- In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
- Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
- Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
- Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
- Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
- I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
- I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
- As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
- It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
- For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
- Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
- Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
- Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
- The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
- Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
- If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
- I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
- As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
- Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
- Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
- Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours.